Love Insurance - Earl Derr Biggers

"Has your engagement ever been announced, Mr. Minot?"

"Why - er - not to my knowledge," Minot laughed. "Why?"

"I was just wondering - if it made everybody feel queer. The way it makes me feel. Ever since one o´clock - I ought never to say it - I´ve felt as though everything was over. I´ve seemed old! Old!" She clenched her fist, and spoke almost in terror. "I don´t want to grow old. I´d hate it."

"It was here," said Minot softly, "Ponce de Leon sought the fountain of youth. When you came up I was pretending the one splashing was that very fountain itself - "

"If it only were," the girl cried. "Oh - you could never drag me away from it. But it isn´t. It´s supplied by the San Marco Water Works, and there´s a meter ticking somewhere, I´m sure. [...]"

I´m really loving this novel so far. The plot is as predictable as it can get, but the tone, the characters and the setting are utterly delightful. It reminds me of one of these old screwball comedies.

"Young fellow," Mr. Trimmer´s tone was excultant, "I can´t keep in any longer. I got a proposition in tow so big it´s bursting my brain cells - and it takes some strain to do that. No, I can´t tell you the exact nature of it - but I will say this - tomorrow night this time I´ll throw a bomb in this hotel so loud it´ll be heard round the world."

"An anarchist?"

"Not on your life. Advertiser. And I´ve got something to advice this hot February, take it from me. [...]"