Mistress of the Art of Death - Ariana Franklin

As it turns out I couldn´t endure this book any longer (I´ve read 355 pages and after that I started skim reading).

It´s Cambridge in the year 1171, a child has been murdered, other children have been abducted and the local Jews are being accused of the crimes. Since the Jews are important for the Kings purse, he recruits an Italian investigator and a female doctor, who is skilled in studying corpses, to find out who the killer is.

This mystery started out perfectly okay. I liked the historical backdrop, there were a lot of interesting and suspicious characters and I was even suprised that the book had a gritty feel to it.

But at the 300 page mark the author decided to turn this novel into a sappy romance story. Don´t get me wrong, I don´t have anything against romance (if it is handled well), but I don´t want it to be the most important thing in the latter half of a mystery novel. Somehow the author lost her focus, writing one of the most anticlimatic mystery thrillers I have read in a very long time. In the end I was neither shocked who the killer was, nor did I care.

And may I just say that I really disliked the main character Adelia towards the end. She is depicted as a headstrong, independent woman and she has made a personal vow to herself that she never is going to marry or get into a relationsship with a man in the name of science. And then, snap, a dream hunk of a man appears and Adelia suffers from severe dementia when it comes to her own convictions.

She even has extramarital sex with him, eventhough he insists on marrying her before anything is going to happen.

(show spoiler)

Seriously, I hated the whole romance storyline.

Another series I can cross of my list. What a disappointment.

I´ve read this for Booklikes-opoly square Adventureland 26 and this book is tagged as "thriller" on goodreads.

Page Count: 502 pages (but I´m going to count the 355 pages I have actually read)

Money earned: $6.00