Confessions - Kanae Minato, Stephen Snyder

Yuko resigns from her job as a teacher after har daughter has supposedly died from an accident. During her last lecture, she confronts her pupils with the truth. It wasn´t an accident and two of the pupils in her class are responsible for the death of her little girl.

This is only the beginning of the novel and a dark and twisted revenge story unfolds. Each chapter is told from a different persons perspective and every time I thought I knew where the story was heading, it took a completely different direction.

I enjoyed the feeling of strangeness and alienation throughout the novel. The culture and the people are completely different to my own European upbringing and the way Kanae Minato describes the characters is creepy and eery, yet she manages to make her characters human in a disturbing way. I constantly asked myself who is telling the truth and which character is the most responsible one for all that has happened.

It´s a rather unsettling read but a captivating one as well. I couldn´t put this book down once I have started it. And I have a soft spot for Japanese mystery and crime novels and the atmosphere that these books are able to create.

I´ve read this book for the Booklikes-opoly. It´s a mystery / thriller novel and it starts with a C.