The Aeronaut's Windlass - Jim Butcher

The Aeronaut´s Windlass is the first book in the Cinder Spire series and this is definitely a series that I will continue reading, simply because book number one has been such a fun, action-packed, enjoyable and engaging read.

I can´t even begin to give a proper synopsis of this book, so I will stick with the basics. There are air ships, air battles, lovable characters (a big shoutout for kickass Bridget), talking cats, fascinating magic and an evil mastermind lurking in the shadow.

I have to complain about the worldbuilding, though. Jim Butcher throws the reader into a completely unknown world, without so much as explaining the basic outline of this world. He actually treats the reader as someone who is familiar with this world. There is some explaining throughout the first half of the novel, whenever he needs to convey certain informations. But there are still so many things that I need to know. What happend to earth? What are warriorborns exactly? What are the motives of the evil entity?

And all the random explanations in the first half of the book ruined the flow of the story a little bit. It took me four days to read the first half, the second half I finished in a day. I hope that the second book has a better balance in this regard.

But overall I can highly recommend this book.