The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet - Becky Chambers

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet tells the story of the spaceship Wayfarer and its human/alien crew. The crews job is to dig holes into subspace to connect remote locations in space and thus buildung some sort of highway in space. A new, dangerous assignment takes them on a year-long trip through the deep, dark space.

I can´t tell you much more about the plot than this, simply because there is not a whole lot more to it than that. This book is definitely not a plot-driven one and the hole-digging in space takes up a minor part of the story.

The main incentive of Becky Chambers is to introduce the reader to the world and the characters she has created. It´s all about the characters, their lives and their culture and how they behave towards each other. If one of the characters has a problem, the crew start to talk about the problems (and they talk a lot, basically all the time) and in the next chapter said issues aren´t a problem anymore or doesn´t get mentioned at all throughout the rest of the book. I had some issues with this, since the book felt disjointed at times and every chapter had a short story feeling to it.

But I have to admit, I enjoyed reading this book. The last book I have read, people were doing horrible, horrible things to each other, so it was really nice to read a book where people are genuinely nice to each other. I´m declaring this novel to be my bookish equivalent to the movie "Mamma Mia". There is not much to it story-wise, but it definitely leaves me with that uplifting feeling, that there´s some good in this world (just to qoute Samwise Gamgee there).