A Tale for the Time Being - Ruth Ozeki

Nao is a 16 year old, troubled, japanese girl, who starts to write a diary about her own life and the life of her family in the present and in the past. This diary happens to fall in the hands of the novelist Ruth, who lives a secluded life with her husband Oliver on a remote Canadian island. As Ruth starts to read Naos diary, the lives of these two unlikely characters starts to intertwine. What influence does Naos life have on Ruths and vice versa?

This book is just beautiful and a wonderful read. And I didn´t even like everything about it. As a matter of fact, I pretty much disliked Ruth and her husband Oliver. They had some personality traits that annoyed the heck out of me. Unfortunately half of the book is written from Ruths point of view, which I haven´t been too fond of and I have been looking constantly forward to Naos chapters.

Yes, Nao. I felt for her, I cried for her (and I almost never cry while reading novels), I had to smile at her odd behaviour and her quirkiness. She is one of the most unique characters I have ever encountered in a book and I really adore her and her great-grandmother Old Jiko.

This book isn´t nearly perfect, but I loved it and I didn´t want it to end. 5 stars, depsite its flaws.