Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie

It´s kind of sad that this is the last book in the Imperial Radch trilogy. I could read for hours and hours about Breq and her fellow human and AI crewmates and I finished this book with that satisfying feeling that this is the perfect ending (for now) for these beloved characters.

The story takes place right after the events of Ancillary Sword. Once again Breq has to put her unique skills to use in order to save Athoek station, it´s residents and all that is important in Breqs life, even if that means that Breq has to put her life on the line.

This is about it what I´m going to tell about the story. If you have read the first two books of the trilogy you are going to feel the need to read the last novel immediately.  And if you like the first two books you are going to love this one. The style of the book is pretty much the same as in Ancillary sword. Instead of an action driven plot Leckie focuses once again on the characters and the underlying question, whether or not the ships and stations are sentient beings, who have the right to make their own decisions. And its impressive how Leckie manages to give each of her AIs a distinct character and some of them even appears more human than any of the human characters in the story.

I couldn´t decide if I should give Ancillary Mercy a 4,5 star or a 5 star rating. The plot of Mercy is a little bit more cluttered than the plot in Sword, simply because there are more politics involved in Mercy. I have to reread Ancillary Mercy just to get everything straigth. But as this is such a comforting read which leaves you with that satisfying feelling that everything is good for Breq and all the other characters I´m going to reread these books every now and then anyway. And as I love the whole series I just have to give Ancillary Mercy full five stars.